profile

ESPRESSO FRIDAYS

The Future of DevOps

Published 26 days ago • 1 min read

Hi friends,

If you had asked me about the future of DevOps / infrastructure a few years ago, I would’ve pointed straight to serverless.

I don’t think that anymore.

After this week’s Kubecon in Paris (amazing event by the way!), here’s a collection of thoughts and prediction on the future of tech.

While serverless was a big deal, the rise of container technology and Kubernetes has been astonishing, even the biggest advocates of the technology did not expect this much adoption.

Serverless, as a function-based solution, seem to be stagnating. It’s driven by practical issues like cost, complexity, and the developer experience.

Plus, Amazon’s shift from Lambda to a monolith earlier this year alongside DDH’s take on it, shedding even more light on the subject, did not contribute.

Looking ahead, I see a trend towards automated solutions that simplify using cloud services from providers like AWS, Azure, Hetzner, or OVH. This approach is “somewhat serverless” but leans more towards using containers.

Let me explain.

Examples like Heroku, Netlify, Vercel, and AWS Amplify are making it easier for developers by reducing complexity, and automating DevOps tasks.

These platforms are mainly for smaller projects right now, but I believe bigger operations will soon catch on. They realize these automated solutions can take over much of the DevOps workload, especially with a bit of AI integration.

I predict that such solutions like these could meet the needs of about 80% of businesses. The remaining 20% might find the cost too high or the solutions not fitting their unique needs.

There’s also a wave of new technologies making cloud services faster, more efficient, and cheaper—like faster Docker builds with deopt, better microVMs with KraftCloud, and enhanced object storage (Minio), or even better block storage with SimplyBlock.

It’s clear that user-friendly, integrated deployment solutions are becoming more common, promising lower costs and better performance.

I’m excited to watch how this evolves and am even considering creating something myself in this space. For now, these are the trends shaping our industry’s future.

Whenever you’re ready, here’s how I can help you

Building a Second Brain with Neovim in Under 90 Minutes: My first course, discussing the basics of building a second brain using the PARA and CODE methods, combined with Obsidian and Neovim as an editor. Join 200+ enrolled students here

ESPRESSO FRIDAYS

Every once in a while I send hand picked things I've learned. Kind of like your filter to the tech internet. No spam, I promise!

Read more from ESPRESSO FRIDAYS

Hi Friends, Today, we’re diving into the often under-appreciated git blame. Often used to find out who last modified a line of code, git blame has several powerful features. Let’s explore some of these hidden gems, particularly focusing on the flags: -w -C -C -C -C -C -C blame -C -C -C ignores code movements across the entire history Ignoring Whitespace with the -w Flag Do you know the annoying blame results showing over an indent or a space removed / added? "-w" fixes that! git blame -w...

5 days ago • 1 min read

Hi friends, This is the story of how one mysterious hacker, took advantage of an inactive negligible library in Linux, and the maintainers emotional stress. Slowly, week after week, bit by bit lines of seemingly random testing code were added, in front of everyone’s eyes, to the Linux upstream. Thanks to one curious developer, who had an itch because of a tiny lag in his login process, sending him deep into the rabbit hole of Linux SSH and the mystic world of ZX, we would have never heard of...

12 days ago • 6 min read

Hi friends, You know how companies use merge commits when working on projects? Just go to one of your work projects and checkout the history of the main branch. It may look tidy (or not) but it’s bad for the environment (the real-world one 😉) Lots of merge commits While that’s pretty standard, it actually makes things messy. Every time we do this, it stops us from keeping our commit history nice and clean all the way through from development to production. Here’s why that’s a bit of a...

19 days ago • 2 min read
Share this post